Can a Furnace Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Can a Furnace Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Your HVAC system may as well be the heart of your home. It provides you with a comfortable atmosphere regardless of the season and helps purify the indoor air. As useful as your HVAC system may be, it may also lead to severe consequences if not taken proper care of.

Therefore, in this article, we will take the time to answer the question of whether your furnace can cause carbon monoxide poisoning or not. We will also be mentioning signs and indications that you better keep an eye on.

So, to know more about furnace issues and furnace inspection in Mill Creek, read on to find out more.

Can Your Furnace Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Firstly, you must understand that carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas, causing severe health damage if exposed to it for an extended amount of time. When exposed to a high amount of carbon monoxide, it reduces the oxygen in one’s blood cells, causing carbon monoxide poisoning.

The next thing you should understand is that all HVAC systems produce a small amount of carbon monoxide.

However, trouble looms when this carbon monoxide is trapped within your home. Such instances only happen when your home’s circulation system is not fully functional or there is a ventilation problem. In other words,  your furnace may cause carbon monoxide poisoning if it is not well-maintained.

How to Detect a Carbon Monoxide Leak?

The difficulty with carbon monoxide is that it does not have any odor or color and is usually called the ‘silent killer.’

Thus, if there is a leakage of carbon monoxide, it is not that easy to detect it. Hence, the question that we have next is  — how do we understand if there is a carbon monoxide leak?

Thankfully, a few indications will tell you whether there is a carbon monoxide leak or not inside your house. Listed below are a few of those signs:

  • Look for brownish: yellow stains or sooty marks near the appliance.
  • Notice back: draft, fumes, smoke, or if soot is building up inside the house from a fireplace or chimney.
  • If there is a stuffy, stale, or burning smell within the home, something is being overheated.
  • If solid fuels are burning slower than usual.
  • Notice heavy condensation or dripping in the nearest window to the appliance.

When you notice either of these signs, take immediate action by ensuring enough airflow within the house. The next thing to do would be to move away from the source.

To ensure that your HVAC system is not leaking carbon monoxide and is in good condition, you must do a regular tune-up and take proper maintenance steps.

For an adequate furnace inspection in Mill Creek, give us at DVAC Heating & Air LLC a call at (425) 908-0030. We will be there with the best of services and HVAC system solutions.